Moving Services Near Me
Discover your go-to local moving solution with the Top Moving Company Near Me. Our experienced, professional team is dedicated to making your move stress-free, efficient, and affordable. Request a free, no-obligation quote today, and let us handle your next relocation with the utmost care and precision.
Packing and Unpacking Services
Our Moving Service has an experienced team dedicated solely to packing, crating, and unpacking our residential moves, whether you’re moving a block away or across the country. So, if you don’t have the time to pack your belongings for a move—or want someone else to do it—call on RMS with confidence. We bring all the needed supplies and organize and label all your possessions. After your move, we can also unpack for you, so you have time for all the other things that will help you settle into your new home.
Should you decide to do your own packing, RMS is still a valuable resource. We offer a wide array of boxes and other packing supplies and provide all our clients with useful packing guidelines. In addition, our clients are welcome to visit our facility anytime for a one-on-one lesson on efficient packing.
Packing properly is essential for a successful move. Click here for helpful tips on packing.
The key to a successful move is to understand how to properly pack your valuable possessions. We offer full packing and unpacking services, however, there are times you would like to do it yourself. Below is a list of boxes we provide as well as our useful packing guidelines.
- Small Boxes- The heavier the item, the smaller the box such books, photo albums, CD’s and canned goods
- Medium Boxes- These are perfect for your pots, pans, linens, clothes and shoes
- Large Boxes- You would want to fill these boxes with bulky items, blankets, toys and lighter items
- Wardrobe Boxes– These boxes have a cross bar for hangers in order to hang your clothing or for draperies and curtains. They fit approximately 2 feet of closet space
- Mirror Boxes– Serve to protect large mirrors, artwork, glass table tops and flat screen TVs
- Dishpacks – Used for dishware, stemware, lamps and china. Anything you would consider breakable
Helpful Packing Hints
- Lampshades- Wrap in white, clean tissue paper only, place in cartons, mark “Fragile.” Do not use newsprint. Lampshades may be nested but do not pack them in a way that will tear lining or puncture parchment shades.
- Linens- Table and bed linens should be put into strong cartons or trunks. They should be lined with tissue or clean white or brown paper to protect from dust. Do not use newsprint as a liner as the ink may soil fabric.
- Linoleum- The moving company is not responsible for the safe moving of linoleum which has been used or tacked to the floor or which cracks and breaks when rolled.
- Mattresses- Our moving men will protect your mattresses by wrapping them in shrink wrap. Do not try to roll or handle mattresses as this may result in damaged springs or fabrics. You may protect mattresses with a sheet or mattress cover if you like.
- Medicines- Seal bottles and jar stoppers. Wrap individually, placing them upright in small cartons or metal waste containers.
- Mirrors- For storage or long distance moving, mirrors must be crated for safe handling. Wall mirrors will be removed by the movers if they are not fastened to the walls. Mirrors will not be installed on walls at the new residence, Mirror tops on furniture will be taken off and replaced at destination.
- Mowers and Gasoline Powered Tools- Gas tanks should be drained and oil reservoirs emptied. No flammable mixtures or articles may be transported on public carriers.
- Paintings/Pictures- Small pictures can be safely placed between the folds of blankets or pillows in drawers or cartons. Large and valuable pictures and paintings must be padded, wrapped, and crated for moving.
- Stereos- Secure the tone arm and turntable against the movement by tying. Secure the changer to avoid its moving forward. On delicate, expensive players, it is wise to have this done by an experienced serviceman.
- Records, Tapes and CD Players- Pack records on end, side by side, to provide the greatest resistance to weight pressure. Use small cartons only.
- Plants- These should be handled personally by you or given to your florist to send to your destination. The moving company will not assume responsibility for living plants.
- Refrigerators- Defrost and thoroughly dry your refrigerator before moving. This is very important. The doors should be left open several hours to air after defrosting. All pans, trays, crispers, shelves or removable parts should be removed and wrapped separately. Have your refrigerator serviced. Motor may have to be bolted down before moving. Do not plug in at the new home until it has been unbolted.
- Rugs- It is not necessary to remove rugs from floors. Our men will do this for you. They will be rolled to avoid crushing. If they are to be stored, have them cleaned. Tacks should be removed from carpeting before our movers arrive.
- Sewing Machines- These do not need special servicing for local moving. For long distance, the driver will stuff paper in and around the machine and place paper between the lid and base to prevent rubbing.
- Silverware- Leave in original containers or wrap in cloth or low sulfur-content paper or tissue and pack in boxes. Place padding in silver chests to prevent moving and scratching.
- Stoves- Must be disconnected prior to pickup. Be sure gas lines are shut off and capped. For electric ranges, if the coils are loose, they must be removed together with griddles, deep fryers and removable parts, then packed separately.
- Television Sets- Some sets require checking before moving. Some color TVs must be serviced both before and after moving. Television antennas should be removed from roof tops and disassembled.
- Toilet Articles- Seal the corks and stoppers of cosmetics, medicine, and perfume bottles with natural nail polish, paraffin or masking tape before wrapping separately in paper and placing upright in cartons.
- Tools- If they are valuable, wrap separately. Tools, as a rule, can be put into small, strong cartons without wrapping individually.
- Valuables- Legal documents, all important papers, jewels, and currency should be handled by you personally. Keep them in your immediate possession.
- Washers- Automatic washers must be serviced by an authorized service man. Motors should be checked and secured, tumble action protected and fastened in place.
A successful and stress-free move requires the right moving supplies. Ridgewood Moving Services (RMS), your one-stop moving resource, has all the tools, equipment, and supplies needed to optimize your moving experience—all at affordable prices.
As noted in our Moving Timeline and Checklist, the packing process should begin months before you vacate your home. You should decide at this time whether you want to do your own packing or hire professionals to do it for you. Either way, RMS is your best resource. We offer full packing, crating, and unpacking services, as well as a full assortment of packing supplies for do-it-yourselfers.
Ridgewood Moving Services offers a wide assortment of traditional and specialty moving supplies, including:
|Boxes||Small, medium, and large boxes for your general packing needsle|
For unique or delicate items, including:
Smart Start Kit
Start your packing with the right tools at an excellent price! The ideal package for the initial phases of packing, our Smart Start Kit includes an assortment of different sized boxes, paper for packing and crating delicate items, and sealing tape to secure the boxes. Our kit includes:
- 5 small boxes (for books, records, canned goods, etc.)
- 5 medium boxes (for pots, pans, linens, etc.)
- 5 large boxes (for blankets, pillows, bulky items)
- 3 dish packs (for dishes, breakables, serving ware, etc.)
- Unprinted newsprint (for wrapping fragile items)
- 2 rolls of sealing tape
Total cost of the kit is $75.00, including tax — a savings of more than $30.00 if items were purchased individually!