Cindy Myer, CEO of Ridgewood Moving Services (Ridgewood Moving), is the first woman president of the New Jersey Warehousemen and Movers Association (NJWMA). This nonprofit organization was established in 1969 in order to educate movers and clients alike about State and Federal Regulations for moving. Essentially, it helps make sure that moving stays as a safe industry for everyone involved!

Perhaps the most important aspect of NJWMA is education. The more people know about moving, the better and safer their experiences will be! That’s why we’ve copied an excerpt from their site below, which explains all the different kinds of moves a company can make. We do both local and long distance moves, so this is a great way to learn about what Ridgewood Moving offers as well.

Intrastate moving or local, means that your new residence will be with-in the same state, regardless of the number of miles that you are moving. The New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs is the regulatory body that issues licenses to public movers. For moving with-in the State of New Jersey, movers must come to your home and give you a written estimate and a brochure titled ‘Important Notice to Consumers Using Public Movers’.


Interstate moving or long distance, means that your new residence is located in a different state. Movers are regulated by the US Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Bureau. Your mover must be have a current DOT and MC number for interstate moving. Since different rules apply, the mover must give you the brochures titled “Your Rights and Responsibilities for Interstate Moving” and ‘Ready to Move‘. For more info, visit the American Moving and Storage Association at:



International moving, also called overseas moving, means you are moving out of the contiguous 48 states, to Alaska, Hawaii or to another country. These types of moves are regulated, and the mover must be registered with the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC);  Its best to use a NJ licensed mover with international affiliations in the “International Association of Movers” (IAM). Also there usually is no insurance or minimum liability offered by the carrier for international moving unless you request insurance. You should contact the consulate for the country to which you are moving; you should find them at; Click to download the International moving brochure from the FMC


The NJWMA is comprised of licensed moving companies that perform all aspects of moving within the State of New Jersey. Many of these companies may also be licensed to perform long distance moves under their own authority; Some companies may represent a van line and serve as an agent for their long distance or international moving, however, most information regarding rules and regulations in this web site deals mostly with Intrastate moving with-in the State of NJ.

Thank you for reading! If you want to be more informed, then please visit the NJWMA website by clicking here. On that page, you will find extensive information that will keep you safe before a move. We find that this kind of information is incredibly valuable to first time movers, so please take a look to learn more!

Are you a fan of Ridgewood Moving Services? Then leave us a testimonial or a review! You can do so on our testimonials pageYelpGoogle +, or Angie’s List. Every review helps us out, so place consider choosing one of the links above. Thanks for reading everyone!